Have you ever watched "Hell's Kitchen" and wondered how to make that 'oh-so-yummy-looking meat, covered in a pastry dish?' Well, I used to think the same thing and so I decided to research a recipe and alter it into my own! On the show, it always looked so difficult to master, but honestly, although a bit time-consuming, it is quite easy!
This is perfect recipe to produce a delicious Beef Wellington for your significant other, on what better day than the one you celebrate your love for one another!
What you need:
2 lb Beef fillet
1/2 lb Portobello mushrooms (chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
handful of finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 sheet of dough (President's Choice has a great boxed one that contains 2 sheets)
1. Sautee mushrooms and onion in large frying pan. Once browned, remove from stove top and let cool.
2. Sear beef on ALL sides; make sure to NOT cook beef while searing for too long--ensure all sides are just lightly browned then remove from pan.
3. Take sheet of dough and flatten out, ensuring to stretch out VERY lightly as to not tear.
4. Place meat on top of dough sheet, then place mushroom & onion mix in a generous line on top of meat.
5. Carefully take one side of the dough and bring up over top of the meat, then repeat with ALL sides--smooth down creases in dough where sides meet.
6. Whisk 2 eggs in bowl until thin, then brush over dough.
7. Place in oven at 400 degrees until temperature reaches 125. Wait approximately 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Serve with a nice mixed green salad or potatoes.